Can I upgrade my phone wirelessly? (Firmware Over The Air)
■ When you have a SW issue (refer to following list of symptoms), please upgrade phone software
to the latest version via FOTA (Firmware Over The Air) before visiting LG Service Center.
- Phone resets on receiving / sending messages
■ What is FOTA (Firmware Over The Air)?
FOTA is a wireless tool to update SW of smart phones.
This method is recommended for customers’ ease and convenience.
If the mobile phone supports FOTA, you can download the firmware update over the air directly from Operators or LGE (in most cases).
This feature also allows manufacturers and operators to "push out" firmware updates to ensure customers always have the latest software improvements.
This allows customers to save time and cost, as well as increase satisfaction levels.
How to Setup
■ How can I check if the software is the latest version?
Go to Settings → General Tab → About phone → Update Center → Software Update → Check now for update
■ FOTA UI – Download & Install
※ Before applying FOTA, it's recommended that you are connected to Wi-Fi network in order to avoid high data fees.
Ensure phone battery is fully charged and that you have enough free device memory.
Please do not power off or remove the battery during upgrade.
■ FOTA FAQs
a) Moving from Wi-Fi environment to 3G while downloading in Wi-Fi/3G option.
- Downloading will continue in 3G network.
- When ‘Wi-Fi Only’ is selected, downloading will be paused as Wi-Fi network is disconnected
Once Wi-Fi network is reconnected, download will restart.
b) Disconnection of 3G/Wi-Fi network while downloading.
- Due to a resume function, downloading will continue from where it paused.
c) Is software update still available after rooting?
- During the process of verifying current software before installing new software,
the update will not be available anymore, if the current software has been modified by rooting or other process.
- FOTA is designed to only download and install modified areas instead of updating a FULL IMAGE.
d) While installing after download, what happens if the installation stops due to battery?
- Once the power turns back on, download will restart from where it paused with resume function.
e) Are customer’s data saved?
- As user’s data are saved in a different location, data will not be deleted.
However, data back-up is recommended as it cannot be guaranteed.
f) When a number of SW are available, can I update my phone straight to the latest version?
- Since FOTA is designed to only download modified areas, therefore the machine needs to be updated in a sequential order.
g) Is there any difference in SW between the Web Update and the FOTA update?
- SW update will be the same as that of Web Update, once the latest version is installed by FOTA.