Global EESH Management System
LG Electronics has contributed to building cleaner and safer society as well as reducing risk through EESH Management process for all of business sites. Especially, we have raised efficiency and execution ability for EESH management through establishing Global EESH policy and PEMI (Plan, Execution, Monitoring, Improvement) cycle.
Global EESH System Operating Process
Environment Safety Group (ESG) laid the foundation for the operation of LGE’s global EESH standards by integrating its PEMI (plan, execution, monitoring, improvement) cycle as well as its global EESH policy. In addition, ESG has facilitated PEMI activities at all of LGE’s business sites through 12 core elements.
INTEGRATED GLOBAL EESH MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
ACTIVITIES OF PRODUCTION SITES
- EnergyLG Electronics has integrated various energy consumption indicators into GHG emissions and reductions and manages them accordingly. Also it has obtained the ISO 50001 (Energy Management Systems) certification for all production sites in Korea and key R&D facilities to facilitate the enterprise-wide reduction of energy consumption.
In 2011, LGE reduced 102,000 tons (7%) of GHG emissions associated with production compared to 2008 through such activities as production process innovation, facility/operation efficiency improvement, renewable energy use, etc.
Major activities for reducing energy consumption include: expansion of renewable energy facilities and investments (solar power generation systems at production sites, waste heat recovery systems); adoption of high efficiency equipment (high efficiency cooler and cooling towers for Plasma Display Panel production); implementation of the building management system (BdMS); and improvement of energy consumption and utility equipment efficiency.
In 2011, we had undertaken initiatives such as improving production processes, reducing product wrappings, and cutting waste to reduce the total amount of waste. As a result, we had succeeded in reducing waste by more than 10% compared to the year before.
From 2012, we have set a target to reduce the release by 5% every year with a comprehensive management system.
In 2011, we had carried out a number of activities to reduce pollutant release, including reusing waste acid in wastewater treatment, changing wastewater treatment chemicals into eco-friendly ones, and improving the process to cut chemical usage.
From 2012, we have been aiming at cutting discharging amount by 5% every year.
At Gumi Ⅲ Plant, odor control facilities and aeration tank covers were installed to address odors from the waste water treatment plant and also prevent electricity leaks and corrosion of measuring instruments and building structures.
Additionally, LGE is making diverse efforts, including improvements for air pollutants and waste management process, to prevent environmental pollution.
−No toxic chemicals listed in EPA TRI
1) Mexico (Reynosa, TV Factory), KOREA (Pyeongtaek, TV R&D center)
- SafetyLG Electronics takes worksite safety very seriously and pursues every possible precaution to prevent accidents from occurring at its production sites and diligently prepares to handle emergency situations. At ChangwonⅡPlant, LGE introduced a Behavior-Based Safety (BBS) program to prevent accidents caused by human error.
This safety program detects human error in advance and prevents any accidents from happening, and will be implemented at all LGE production sites in Korea.
- Fire preventionLGE has adopted history card and management manual systems for fire prevention facilities to manage facilities in an optimal way. LGE also issues a Non-Conformance Report card to ensure the proper operation of the Standard Operating Procedure(SOP) monitoring system. All employees are trained on the usage of the fire extinguisher which is specially designed for training. In addition, employees at the Fire Prevention Center are dispatched to 119 Emergency Rescue Centers for training on fire extinguishing, emergency rescues and evacuation activities. Moreover, headquarters conducts unannounced drills so that employees can be always prepared for accidents and be aware of response measures. Every worksite has established a cooperative relationship with the local fire department for the safety of local community. For example, the Gumi site has provided direct support such as dispatch of fire engines for five times in 2010. In addition, LGE also conducts regular training to prepare against leakage of hazardous substances at each worksite. Through such activities, LGE is enhancing employees’ awareness on characteristics of hazardous substances and training them for urgent cases.
- HealthTo promote and protect employee health, LGE is engaging in Total Health Promotion(THP) activities with a special focus on smoking secession and weight management. Counseling centers have also been established, assisting employees to manage their stress. At all LGE business sites, in Korea and overseas, a medical service professional (either a doctor or nurse) is always available to oversee the health of employees working at each site. Additionally, those medical professionals provide first aid and CPR training so that our employees can handle emergency situations.
In Korea, LGE offers regular medical check-ups (special, general, comprehensive) to employees through a tailored medical check-up system called LGHI. Based on the results, employees receive health consultations and make lifestyle modifications to improve their health. Changwon Plant (ⅠandⅡ) in particular have been engaged in a non-smoking campaign for the past several years to discourage employees from continuing the deadly habit, and converted their premises into nonsmoking facilities in 2011. The Plant phased out all onsite smoking areas and converted them into rest areas, and initiated a smoking secession fund. In 2012, LGE plans to engage a smoking secession campaign at all business sites in Korea.