Green Product Strategy
LG Electronics is performing activities of replacing hazardous substances in the products as far as possible. We are particularly applying technology for reducing noise and vibration in our washing machines, refrigerators, vacuum cleaner and etc. We meet the international environmental regulations on hazardous substances and pursue the development of products that will replace hazardous substances and improve our living environment.
- LG Electronics is researching and developing technology for the management and replacement of hazardous substances. Besides product development, we continuously operate our Green Program for vendor management and monitor hazardous substance use throughout the entire process of product manufacturing. In order to thoroughly test the content status of hazardous substance in the parts that enter LG Electronics, we are operating our hazardous substance testing system. And for the parts and products with higher possibility of containing hazardous materials, we are frequently monitoring the process to manage the hazardous substances.
- We also apply anti-bacteria and anti-allergic technology to improve the customers' living environment where the products are used; to reduce the noise and vibration during product use, we conduct continuous research. In addition, through studying the application of bio-plastic and other materials, we are putting more effort into developing greener products. To ensure our products can be used more pleasantly, we will continue this pursuit in the future.
LG Electronics’ energy strategy focuses on two key areas: an improvement in energy efficiency and reductions in greenhouse gas emissions during manufacturing. As product energy efficiency improves, greenhouse gas emissions decrease, which allows customers to reduce electricity bills. As a global enterprise, we try to make a difference in our environment and future generations by reducing greenhouse gas emissions throughout the life cycle.
- We push forward improvements in products' energy efficiency first by formulating the five-year Technology Roadmap (TRM) for each product line, and then achieving the detailed goals. We have already met ERP (Energy-related Products) regulation and also set our own future goals and detailed strategy to reduce energy consumption and standby power.
- We will cut 30 million tons of greenhouse gas emissions from using our products through a long-term, systematic investment in R&D to improve the energy efficiency of products by 2020. We create greenhouse gas inventories and aim to increase the production efficiency to reduce greenhouse gas emissions during manufacturing.
There are two improvements in resources: lower resource usage and higher recycling rates. The strategy to lower resource usage includes: to reduce extraction of raw materials by decreasing the weight and volume of products; and to reduce the burden on nature by utilizing recycled materials. As part of our effort to improve human convenience and resource sustainability, our strategy for recycling performance involves in simplifying connection between parts and improving raw materials to make recycling easier.
- We develop slim design products to minimize the use of resources as well as for ease of use. We manage energy and water usage in connection with our waste elimination activities to use resources effectively during manufacturing process.
- We set standards internally and practice them to manufacture products after considering environmental issues such as degradation and ease of recycling at the product development stage. We use a systematic and effective process involving evaluation and supporting tools such as checklists of recycling evaluation, recycling performance evaluation, and a guide for recycling design.
- We try to improve packaging as well as products in an ecofriendly manner. We have invented various types of packaging methods to store and deliver products safely using less harmful resource and fewer materials. We also adjust the size and way of packaging to increase the transportation efficiency.