We, LG ELECTRONICS HK LIMITED ("LGEHK", “we”, “us” or “our”), are sensitive to your privacy issues on the Internet. We are committed to protecting your privacy on our site (www.lg.com/hk and www.lg.com/hk_en) and other affiliate websites and services that are under our control. We pledge to meet fully in implementing and complying with the requirements of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance and other applicable laws, rules and regulations relating to personal data privacy protection. We will ensure compliance by our staff and any authorized third party with the strictest standards of security and confidentiality so as to protect your personal information.
Types of information that we collect and how we use it
Personal information:Personal information is any data or information that can be used to uniquely identify a single person. The personal information that we may collect on our site (www.lg.com/hk and www.lg.com/hk_en) and other affiliate websites and services that are under our control includes the following particulars:
- We may collect your personal information (such as your name, email address, contact number and postal address (optional)) if you contact us with a question.
- We may collect your personal information (such as your name, email address, postal address and contact number) when you register a warranty for our products on-line on our site.
- We may collect your personal information (such as your name, email address, postal address and contact number) when you register with us on our site or other affiliate websites or sign-in our services or the services offered by or other affiliate websites.
- We may collect your personal information (such as your name, email address, contact number and your identification type and/or number) if you choose to complete a survey or participate in a contest, mini promotion or prize draw on our site or other affiliate websites.
- We may collect your personal information (such as your name, postal address, email address, contact numbers, credit card details and billing information) if you purchase a product or service on our site or other affiliate websites.
The above list merely provides certain examples of the personal information that we may collect from you on our site or other affiliate websites and is not exhaustive. If you do not want us to collect your personal information, you are entitled not to provide us with any of such information.
We may use your personal information collected on our site or other affiliate websites for such main purposes as to
(i) verify your identity;
(ii) process your application to subscribe to our products and/or services;
(iii) deliver, administer and manage the products and/or services you have requested;
(iv) provide you with direct marketing materials and/or communications in the manner as set out in the paragraph headed “Direct Marketing” below;
(v) perform research or analysis in order for us to improve our products and/or services;
(vi) complete a transaction of any product and/or service requested by you;
(vii) fulfill the terms of a promotion event;
(viii) ensure our site or other affiliate websites are relevant to your needs;
(x) assist in the prevention, detection or investigation of crime or possible activities or for other legitimate purposes as may be required, authorized or permitted by law; or
(xi) serve such purposes as otherwise indicated to you by prior notice in writing.
Non-personal information:In addition to personal information, we may also collect certain non-personal information i.e. data that does not identify any particular individual on our site or other affiliate websites. For example, like most of the other websites, we may collect the information from your computer and browser, such as internet protocol (IP) address, type of browsers, internet service provider (ISP), date/time stamp, referring/exit pages and number of clicks, through the use of log files. Such information may then be used to analyse trends, administer our site or other affiliate websites, track user’s movement around our site or other affiliate websites, and gather demographic information such as age, location, gender or interests.
In general, you can visit our site or other affiliate websites without telling us who you are or revealing any information about yourself. In such case, when you visit our site or other affiliate websites, we may record your visit only as a “hit” and do not collect any personal information from you. Our service provider may make a record of your visit showing only the domain name server part of your e-mail address and of the pages visited. The service provider may only disclose to us aggregate information about the number and types of visitors by reference to their domain name server address, the average time spent on our site or other affiliate websites and the pages viewed. We may use this information for preparing general statistics on the usage of our site or other affiliate websites, which will then be used to help us to improve the contents of our site or other affiliate websites.
Collection of personal information from minors
We do not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are under 18, please do not provide any information about yourself, including your name, email and postal addresses, your identification type and/or number, or contact details to our site or other affiliate websites. If we learn that personal information from a child under 18 is collected, we will take immediate steps to delete the information from our database.
You have a choice not to accept the cookies by activating the settings on your browser, but if you do, you may not be able to use certain features on our site or other affiliate websites. Please refer to the "Help" file of your Internet Browser to learn how to either block all cookies or receive a warning before a cookie is to be stored.
Access to and modification of personal information
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal data we collect, use and disclose is accurate and complete. This however depends, to a certain extent, on the accuracy and completeness of the information you provide. You can at any time access or modify the personal information that you have submitted to our site by logging in to your account at our website https://www.lg.com/hk_en/support/mylg-login, or https://www.lg.com/hk/support/mylg-login. You may also request to delete such information from our database if it is not otherwise required to be retained by law or for our legitimate business purposes. For other personal information, we ask individual users to identify themselves and the information requested to be accessed, modified or removed before processing such requests. Please send your request to us by writing to 5/F, 633 King’s Road, North Point, Hong Kong (Attention to Data Privacy Officer), together with appropriate proof of identity (e.g. a copy of your identification document), if you wish to access, modify or delete your personal information other than those submitted while you are registering warranties for our products. We will handle your request as soon as possible and, in any event, before the expiry of the 40 day maximum period set by the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance. We may charge you for complying with access requests. However, any such charge will not be excessive and no charge will be levied for complying with a correction request.
Security and Retention of personal information
We are committed to protect the security of your personal information. We take appropriate measures to safeguard your personal information from access by unauthorised persons and against unlawful processing, accidental loss or destruction. We may use encryption on all pages where personal information is collected. We may also use firewalls to protect your information from unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. This protects the confidentiality of your personal information while it is transmitted over the Internet.
No data transmissions over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us. It should be noted that any information that you transfer to us is done at your own risk. It should also be noted that the use of encryption or firewalls is not a guarantee that your information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed by breach of such firewalls and security software.
We may retain your information for a reasonable period, until you request otherwise in writing, and/or as long as the law from time to time requires, where applicable. We may also retain archived personal data for statistical purposes. Any personal data which is no longer required will be destroyed by us properly.
Disclosure of personal information
We will not disclose the information collected from you to third parties unless we have obtained prior written consent from you. However, we may share or disclose your personal information in the following instances:
- To our staff, agents or service providers. We may need to disclose your information to our staff, agents or service providers for them to process your information on our behalf. For example, if you email us with a question, we may use your email address to process your request and respond to your question. We restrict access to your personal information to our staff or agents who need to have such access in order to process the information on our behalf and our staff is bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline if they fail to meet these obligations. We may also share your personal information to companies which provide us services such as assessing your interest in our products and services, and conducting customer research or satisfaction surveys.
- To fulfill a service to you. For example, if you register warranty service for products with our site, we may need to share your information with third parties in order to have that service rendered to you and furnished as you requested. Also, if you are entering a competition or prize draw, we may use your personal information in order to fulfill the terms of that promotion.
- To our parent company, subsidiaries and affiliates in order to better serve you. We may have to share your information with these parties in order to provide you with services that have been requested by you, or so that we can ensure our services and products are meeting your needs. For example, in some instances, we may be required to transfer your information to our head-quarter in Korea in order to provide you with a product or service requested by you. In such circumstances, we will do so in full compliance with all applicable personal data protection legislation.
- To unaffiliated third-party service providers, agents or independent contractors who help us maintain our site or other affiliate websites and provide other administrative services to us (including, but not limited to, order processing and fulfillment, providing customer service, maintaining and analysing data, sending customer communications on our behalf, and entry collection, winner selection and prize fulfillment for contests and other promotions). We seek to ensure that these unaffiliated third parties will not use your information for any other purpose than to provide the administrative services for which they are responsible. If you do not wish to have our unaffiliated third-party service providers accessed to your personal information, please do not register or submit any personal information to us on our site or other affiliate websites.
- To comply with the applicable law, rules and regulations or otherwise in the good faith that such action is necessary in order to conform to the requirements of law or comply with legal process served on us, protect and defend our rights or properties, including the rights and properties of LGE or act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of our end users.
- To third parties as part of any corporate reorganisation process including, but not limited to, mergers, acquisitions, and sales of all or substantially all of our assets.
- To strategic partners, agents, third party marketers or other unaffiliated parties, but only with your prior consent. These parties may use your personal information to contact you with an offer or advertisement related to a product or service.
Meanwhile, LGEHK may transfer anonymous and aggregated data to authorized third parties from time to time, which may include your personal data on a no-name basis and is therefore not able to identify you in any event.
Subject to obtaining your consent in writing, LGEHK may use your personal information (including your name, contact number, postal address, email address and/or information about the products and/or services you have purchased/requested) to provide you with direct marketing materials or communications relating to our products and/or services (including televisions, audio products, media players, mobile phones, home appliances such as refrigerators, washing machines and dryers, information technology products such as notebooks, monitors and optical storages, commercial products such as hotel televisions and digital signage) and the products and/or services provided by our group of companies, joint venture partners and any other third party. In this connection, LGEHK may provide your personal information to providers (whether within or outside our group of companies) of the products and/or services mentioned above in order to allow them to deliver you promotional materials or conduct direct marketing in relation to the products and/or services they may offer. Such marketing materials or communications may be delivered in forms of advertisements, special events notifications or newsletters, and may be sent by postal mail, e-mail or any other means in accordance with the personal information you provide to us.
In any event, we will not use or provide the information collected from you for the purposes of direct marketing and to the transferees described above unless we have obtained prior written consent from you. We provide you with the opportunity to exercise an opt-out option if you do not want to us to use or provide your personal information for such direct marketing purposes. We shall cease to use or provide such information for direct marketing purposes immediately upon receipt of your written notification as such.
Should you wish and request to withdraw your consent made previously, you may at any time notify us by writing to 5/F, 633 King’s Road, North Point, Hong Kong (Attention to Data Privacy Officer). Any such request should clearly state details of the personal data in respect of which the request is being made. Alternatively, you may simply click the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of our e-mail(s) to entirely opt-out of receiving those direct marketing materials or communications.
This Private Policy shall be governed by the laws of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China.
Effective date: 11th August 2014