This is rubbish
I am shocked that so many people have given this junk a good review. A search on the web reveals that many others have found the same faults as I have with this thing.. Here are a few of the faults that I and many others have experienced.
* Customer Support is absolute rubbish. The staff seem to think their function is to laugh at the victims of the junk LG produce.
* The device takes between 10 and 15 minutes to warm up before it can be used. Until it has warmed up it won't respond to the remote control.
* The colours are often swapped like a photographic negative when showing the list of recordings. When this happens, playing a recording works but the picture is very dim.
* When recording using the EPG it will sometimes stop the recording a few minutes early thus missing the end of the program.
* When recording using manual programming it doesn't record anything and just deletes the request if the request is for a series such as every week.
* When recording using manual programming but not a series when the end time is not the end of a program, the recording will go on forever. The only way to stop it is to switch off at the mains thus losing the recording. It even continues after the disk is full.
* When using the EPG to start a recording it will sometimes start and end at the correct time but not on the correct channel. Customer Services claimed that this was caused by a weak signal but a firmware upgrade fixed it. The server that provides firmware upgrades was switched on for a while. It seems that the firmware controls the signal strength.
* Firmware upgrades don't work. The explanation given to me by Customer Services was that the server providing these upgrades was switched off to save money. Just how much does it cost to run such a server compared to LG's turnover. For a while this was a major problem because it would start upgrades automatically and hang at about 70% of the way through the process. Any scheduled recordings would be missed. The server was switched on for a couple of weeks ( I hope that didn't dent LG's profits) and the update that was delivered during that short time did include a facility to stop automatic upgrades.
* Recording to DVD just doesn't work at all.
* If it is switched on when it starts a recording from the EPG it doesn't record anything although it occupies space on the disk. It never stops the recording though even though it has passed the end time. The stop button does nothing. The power button on the remote displays a message saying that it can't power off while recording even though it actually isn't recording anything. The only way out is to switch off at the mains and then it deletes anything it has recorded in that session.
That is just off the top of my head. I am sure I have missed some of the features of this garbage. The people responsible for writing the firmware for this device should, at the very least, be sent on some beginners programming courses. If they worked for me they I would have sacked them long ago. In all my years in the IT industry I have never seem so much rubbish in one piece of code.
03 June 2014
Easy to use.
I found the unit simple to set up and easy to use. Editing and burning were reasonably easy and enough for my needs.
Only problem I had was the aspect ratio on the files burned to disc, this could not be solved over the phone and unfortunately the unit was out of warranty when I discover the issue. However I learned to live with it.
Overall I am pleased with the product.
20 December 2012
Value for Money
haveing previously purchased the
Lg HR400 Blueray DVD Recorder with Freeview
with 160 gb Hard Drive i did not have to be convinced this would also be a good purchase
i had no problem with the set up of this Player,
as it more or less sets it's self up once it is connected very easy to operate most of the controls are similer to my previous purchase
remote, ideal for second bedroom or holiday home, connected up to 32" lg HD TV
good picture and sound quality, also purchased Sony HD HDMI lead witch was on offer Half price which yet again improves sound and picture Quality
15 April 2012
Difficult to set up recordings that work, also very very slow when first switched on. Likes to record for 2mins 59sec only on both hard drive and DVD before locking up.
15 April 2012