LG Electronics Inc. is a global leader and technology innovator in consumer electronics, mobile communications and home appliances.
In 2004, the LG business group prepared for mass production by consolidating several solar research laboratories under the LG Electronics umbrella. Using decades of R&D experience, LG Electronics broke ground on its first solar cell and module factory.
LG considers the solar power business a considerable new growth engine of the LG Group. The success of our division materialized in the construction and operation of a 14MW scaled solar power plant in Taean, Korea in 2008, and is responsible for the supply of wafers through Siltron, a subsidiary company. Today, LG Solar is on the forefront of product development for all aspects of solar usage, from residential, to commercial to utility grade.
- Founded as GoldStar
- GoldStar Electronics conducts its first solar cell multicrystalline R&D
- GoldStar Industrial Systems develops its portable solar cell technology called 'Solar Lantern'
- GoldStar Central R&D Lab and Lucky Chemical develop their solar cell manufacturing technology
- GoldStar Industrial Systems establishes photovoltaic power plants
- GoldStar Electronics applies and qualifies to manufacture heaters and solar panels that operate on naturally circulating solar heat
- LG Industrial Systems sets up PV traffic signs - LG Industrial Systems establishes PV clock towers
- LG Industrial Systems establishes 17 PV streetlights in Incheon parks, Korea
- LG Industrial Systems establishes PV power generation systems at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST)
- LG Chemical conducts its solar cell polycrystalline R&D
- LG Solar Energy operates its first 14MW solar farm in Taean, Korea
- Solar Cell Research Team in LG Chemical integrates with LG Electronics
- LG Electronics constructs PV cell and module factories in Gumi, Korea - LG Electronics Solar Test Lab is certified by TÜV and UL
- Mass production begins