Salad of Crab and Avocado
Enjoy pure sensory indulgence, as color and texture and flavor merge to create a vibrantly appealing salad that's elegant and comforting all at once.
Serves: MAKES 8 SERVINGS
- 1/2 cup red pepper, small dice
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons jalapeño, minced, seeds and veins removed
- 2-1/2 cups lump crabmeat, pasteurized, picked over to remove cartilage and shell
- 2 avocados, ripe, small dice
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
1. Toss together the red pepper, tomato, scallions, garlic, cilantro, and jalapeño to form a salsa. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of black pepper, set aside. Combine the avocado, lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of black pepper.
2. In a glass bowl, layer 1/4 cup of the tomato salsa, about 5 tablespoons of crab and 2 tablespoons of the avocado mixture. Spoon approximately 1 teaspoon of sour cream on top of the avocado layer. Garnish with salsa.
NOTE: Be sure to wear gloves while mincing the jalapeño to prevent irritation.