Apple Filled Crepes with Cinnamon Sauce
They’re elegant and down-home delicious all at once, laced with the subtle touch of citrus zest.
Serves: MAKES 8 SERVINGS
Yields: 24 Crêpes
Total Time: 45 min
- Applejack or Apple-flavored Brandy, Apple Juice
- 1-1/2 cups Apple Filling
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups Cinnamon Sauce
- Lemon zest for garnish
Apple Filling Ingredients
Serves: MAKES 2 CUPS
- 1/4 cup applejack or apple-flavored brandy
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided use
- 4 cups sliced Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons currants
- 3/4 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 11/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Cinnamon Sauce Ingredients
Serves: MAKES 2 CUPS
Serve this cinnamon sauce with the Apple-Filled Crepes, or try it over French toast or as a topping for ice cream.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup apple juice, divided use
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup light rum
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, about 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon butter
1. Combine the applejack or brandy and the apple juice in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of the oil.
3. Toss the sliced apples with the sugar.
4. Add about one third of the sugared apples (they should be in a single layer) and sauté the apples until golden on both sides, about 4 minutes.
5. Transfer the apples to a bowl.
6. Add one-third of the apple juice mixture to the pan, stirring to release the sugar from the pan, and simmer until slightly reduced and thickened, 30 seconds.
7. Pour the apple juice mixture over the sautéed apples.
8. Sauté the remaining apples in two more batches as directed above.
9. When you add the final third of the applejack mixture to the pan, stir in the currants, orange zest, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
10. Add the mixture to the bowl and stir the filling gently until the currants are evenly distributed throughout.
11. Place the filling in a bowl set in an ice bath and cool, stirring from time to time.
12. Once the filling has reached room temperature, it is ready to use or store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
13. Warm the filling over low heat or in the microwave if necessary.
14. Combine the cream and the sugar and whip to soft peaks.
15. Fill each crêpe with 2 tablespoons of the apple filling. Top with 3 tablespoons of the sauce and 2 tablespoons whipped cream.
16. Garnish the crêpes with lemon zest.
Cooking Tip: Make the crêpes and apple filling. These can be made ahead. Let the crêpes and filling return to room temperature if they have been refrigerated or frozen.
LG PRODUCTS HELP YOU COOK IN STYLE