Who doesn’t love dessert? Enjoy a hearty homemade classic, pecan pie!
Cook Time: 1 hr 30 min (cook time), 2-3 hr prep (homemade pie crust)
Serves: MAKES 6-8 SERVINGS
1. Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Add the cubes of butter and shortening and coat with flour.
2. Gently divide the cubes into smaller pieces and continue to mix until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Add water to the mixture until it just comes together. You may not need all of it. Shape into a ball.
4. Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 400*F
4. Roll out dough on a lightly floured counter until it is about 1/2" thick. Press dough into an 8" round cake pan lined with parchment paper.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until crust is set but not too brown.
4. Set aside.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, maple syrup, half of the butter, water, and cornstarch. Bring to a boil, and remove from heat.
3. In a sauté pan, melt and brown the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, then add the pecans. Stir to coat. Turn the heat off and add the cognac or brandy to the pecans. Carefully ignite the boiling alcohol with a stick lighter wait for the flames to die down. Set aside.
4. Add about ¼ cup of the syrup mixture to the eggs and whisk to combine. Repeat this process two more times, and then add the egg mixture back to the rest of the syrup. Stir in salt, vanilla, and pecans. Pour into pie shell.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until filling is set in the center.
6. Remove and let cool before slicing and serving.