Get ready for summer with a slow-cooked Mexican pork dish that packs plenty of heat!
Cook Mode: Broil
Cook Time: 8-10 hours
Serves: MAKES 8-10 SERVINGS
1. Combine annatto seeds, cumin, black peppercorns, allspice berries and cloves in a spice grinder and grind into a fine powder.
2. Place habanero peppers, garlic, orange juice, white vinegar, lime juice, salt, Tequila or Mezcal and spice mixture in a blender and blend on high speed for 20 seconds. Set mixture aside.
3. Cut pork shoulder into 1 ½ to 2" cubes and place into a large zip-top bag or bowl.
4. Pour the marinade mixture into the bag or bowl and mix thoroughly with meat. Place in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours, mixing once or twice during that time.
5. Preheat oven to 325°F
6. Pour the contents of your bag or bowl into a glass baking dish and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
7. Place the dish in the oven for 4 hours
8. Remove the dish from the oven, peel back foil (carefully, as there will be steam) and check for tenderness with a fork.