Grilled Chicken and Pecan Salad
Here's everything you could ask for in a salad entrée. Crispy greens, festooned with sliced apples and toasted pecans, are a vibrant complement to tender sliced chicken breasts.
Cook Mode: Broil
Cook Time: 20 mins
Preheat: 3 mins
Serves: MAKES 8 SERVINGS
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 4 cups arugula, torn, rinsed, and dried
- 3 cups mixed salad greens, rinsed, and dried
- 2 Belgian endive heads, thinly sliced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted
- 2-1/4 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 2-1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
1. Spray the grill or broiler rack with nonstick spray and preheat.
2. Season each chicken breast with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Grill or broil the chicken 5 inches from the heat, turning occasionally, until cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F, about 10 minutes per side. Allow the chicken to cool off. Thinly slice the chicken on a diagonal.
3. Bring the apple cider to a boil in a small saucepan and simmer until it reduces by two-thirds, about 5 minutes. Transfer the apple cider to a bowl; add the vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, thyme, and the remaining salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the oil.
4. Combine the arugula, mixed greens, and endive in a large bowl; add the apples and half of the dressing, and gently toss to coat.
5. Arrange the salad on plates and top with the chicken and pecans. Drizzle the chicken with the remaining dressing and serve at once.
NOTE : If desired, add 2 tablespoons of blue cheese to each salad for an added layer of complexity.