Lobster and Roasted Red Pepper Salad
Don't hog all of this tasty, colorful salad or people will think you’re shellfish.
Cook Mode: Broil
Preheat: 3 mins
Serves: MAKES 8 SERVINGS
- 4 lobsters, 1-1/2 pounds each
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 4 red bell peppers
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. Put about 1 cup of water and a steamer insert in a large pot with a lid, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the lobsters, replace the cover, and steam until the shells are bright red/pink and the flesh is opaque and cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. Remove the lobsters and let them cool until they can be handled.
2. While the lobsters steam and cool, rinse and spin dry the greens. Refrigerate while preparing the rest of the salad.
3. After the greens are cleaned, roast the peppers over an open flame or in the oven until evenly charred. Place the peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to steam for about 5 minutes. Peel and de-seed the peppers and cut them into very thin slices.
4. Slice the jalapeño into thin rings. Be sure to wear gloves to prevent irritation.
5. Use kitchen shears or a heavy duty knife to cut through the lobster shell. Pull the meat out of the tail and cut it into medallions.
6. Whisk together the lemon juice, thyme, and oil in a large bowl.
7. Add the greens and gently toss to coat. Remove the greens and briefly let the dressing drain back into the bowl, then put the dressed greens onto plates or a platter.
8. Add the peppers, corn, and jalapeño to the dressing left in bowl and toss to coat them thoroughly.
9. Arrange the vegetables and the tomatoes on top of greens. Lean one of the claws against the salad and fan half of a lobster tail next to the claw.