Fresh ingredients make this kitchen classic come alive.
Serves: MAKES 2 QUARTS
Total Time: 45 min
1. In a large soup pot, melt the butter and sauté the garlic, onions and celery until clear, about 5-7 minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Sprinkle the mixture with flour and mix well.
4. Add the sherry wine and vegetable broth and simmer until the mushrooms are completely tender, approximately 25 minutes.
5. Place the soup in a blender and puree. Strain the pureed soup through a colander or sieve, return it to the pot to simmer.
6. Gently heat the heavy cream before adding it to the soup. Add more broth to adjust the consistency of the soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Pour into warmed soup cups or bowls and garnish with sliced chives and the nutmeg, if using.