Cream of Tomato Soup
As comforting as a hug. The sunny notes of plum tomatoes and fresh basil are mellowed with a luxurious swirl of cream and tender grains of rice.
Serves: MAKES 2 QUARTS
Total Time: 45 min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 28 ounces canned plum tomatoes
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- 1 tablespoons basil, chiffonade
1. Sauté the onions and garlic in a little olive oil until clear, about 5-7 minutes. Add the broth, fresh basil and tomatoes, reserving some of the juice from the tomatoes. Simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Place the soup in a blender and puree. Return to pan and heat on a low simmer. Gently heat the heavy cream before adding it to the soup. Add the reserved tomato juice to adjust the final consistency. Add the rice just before serving.
3. Serve the soup in preheated soup cups or bowls and garnish with the chiffonade of basil.