Cool and creamy and an elegant start to any summer menu. We've taken the mystery out of this classic, so it's sure to become your new seasonal favorite.
Serves: MAKES 2 QUARTS
Total Time: 45 min
- 2 cups leeks, white part only, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/4 pounds potatoes, small dice
- 3-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cheesecloth pouch containing 2 whole cloves, 2 parsley stems, 2 peppercorns, 1/2 bay leaf
- 1/2 bunch chives, snipped
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
1. Sauté the leeks and onion in the oil until tender and clear, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the potatoes, broth, and cheesecloth pouch. Bring the mixture to a full boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes begin to fall apart, about 15 minutes.
3. Remove and discard the cheesecloth pouch. Place the soup in a blender and puree. Transfer the soup into a bowl and place in the freezer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Once the soup is cooked, add the chilled half and half, fold in the chives and season with salt and pepper.