GETTING THE MOST FROM YOUR FRIDGE
Storing food and maximizing your LG refrigerator's space can be as challenging as packing. So let's go over how you can make all your groceries fit—with easy access to frequently used items, how to ensure that your food lasts longer, plus other tips that will help you keep your fridge organized and energy-efficient.
MAXIMIZE YOUR SPACE
When it comes to refrigerators, there's no such thing as too much space. Your new refrigerator has adjustable interior features that will make organization a breeze, and maximize the space inside. Get tips below on how to take full advantage of them.
Throwing a party? Family coming over for Thanksgiving? No matter the occasion, organize your refrigerator and your freezer, and you'll be able to fit more. See how you can pack smartly and fit more into the space you have.
TIPS TO STORE FOOD
- Grouping similar items together will help you organize and access food.
- Organizing food items by size will create a function for each shelf and make everything easier to find.
- Keep the items most often used in front for easy access.
Free up space
- Check expiration dates weekly in your refrigerator and monthly in your freezer to ensure you use food before it spoils.
- Take inventory and discard out-of-date items or those you probably won't use anytime soon.
- Save space in your refrigerator by only storing what's necessary to be kept cold. Typically, items found in the center aisles of your grocery store do not need to be refrigerated if not opened.
Leftovers & perishables
- Wait for leftovers to cool down before putting them into the fridge. Putting hot items in the fridge requires more electricity to cool them down.
- Before storing meat, fish or chicken, make sure they're dry.
- Keep anything that has a strong odor—like onions and cheeses—wrapped tightly and separately.
- It's always a good idea to keep sensitive or highly perishable foods such as eggs in their original packaging and on a shelf.
Temperature & humidity
- The optimum temperature for your refrigerator is between 35°F and 38°F (1°C and 3°C).
- Be careful with foods you place near your refrigerator's air vents as ice may tend to form.
- Also be careful with the humidity settings for your crisper drawers. Too much humidity in your crisper drawer may cause food to freeze.
- The crisper drawers preserve humidity, and will help vegetables and fruits stay crisp.
GOOD REFRIGERATOR HABITS
Save money and energy with this ENERGY STAR certified LG refrigerator* that exceeds new 2014 energy standards. Energy Saver is a fully automatic, always-on feature, and you can help keep the energy savings going by developing good habits.
- Don't leave the refrigerator door or freezer drawer open for too long and make sure to always close them properly.
- Plus, if the refrigerator door or freezer drawer is opened too often, warm air may penetrate the refrigerator and raise its temperature. This can increase the running costs of the unit.
*Only the LSXS26386S and LSCS26466S are Energy Star certified.
Give your fridge a vacation
- When you're going away on vacation, it's a good idea to set the ice maker switch to OFF and to shut off the water supply to the refrigerator. (Whenever you turn off the ice maker, the ice bin should also be emptied.)
- If you are leaving home for a short period of time—like a day or a weekend—the refrigerator should be left on. However, you may want to move some items from the fridge to the freezer—refrigerated foods that can be frozen will stay preserved longer if stored in the freezer.
Easy access to healthy food
- Your Door-in-Door™ feature allows you to stay organized: Make the food items your family is always reaching for easily accessible—and make sure healthy items are within reach.
- Door-in-Door™ is the perfect place to store beverages such as juice and milk, items like peanut butter, as well as other small condiments.
- To help your family develop healthy eating habits, keep healthful food items within reach. For example, keep yogurt drinks for your kids in the Door-in-Door™ feature and keep your Crisper stocked with celery and baby carrots—so that quick veggie snacks are easy to grab.
- Your Door-in-Door with ColdSaver™ Panel extends food freshness while conserving energy. It acts like a barrier reducing cold air loss, keeping it where it matters most—inside—giving you peace of mind that food will stay fresh longer.