webOS provides the convenience of storing recently used Apps in memory so you can quickly switch between them, and pick up where you left off. Since these TVs have a finite amount of memory, enough of these "saved" Apps will fill up the system memory, and you may encounter the Out Of Memory message. Once this message is encountered, you will be unable to open new Apps until others are cleared from memory.
Note: No Apps will be deleted during this process. They will simply be closed, so that they are no longer running in the background.
To solve this issue, there are two methods:
- Simply turn the TV off, then back on.
- This will clear the system memory, closing all open Apps, and removing their stored session data.
- If using this method, be sure to check any pertinent information that may be difficult to return to, as the Apps will all start from a fresh state.
Note: If you get a similar message on webOS 2.0, use method 2 only.
- If you have important information currently showing in an App, and you don't wish to close all Apps, you can close individual ones.
- From the Launcher Bar, click the Recent Apps button on the bottom-left.
- From here you can see all of the recent Apps currently stored in memory.
- Hover the Magic Remote cursor over an App, then hover over the Upward Facing Arrow above it. The arrow will turn into a skull with an X as shown below.
- Click the skull icon to close the App, removing it from memory.
- You may need to do this to multiple Apps before a new App can be opened, depending on the memory usage of each App.
- If all else fails, restart the TV (turn it off, then back on again).