Knock code is a new security function that enables a user to unlock the phone when the screen is off. The Home screen can be accessed directly if you tap the same sequence anywhere on the screen.
Note: KnockON double-tap to wake the screen is disabled when Knock Code lock screen is enabled. See the Lock screen article for additional information on lock screen features.
From the Home screen, tap Apps > Settings > Lock screen
Tap Select screen lock > Knock code.
Read the tutorial and tap the Next button.
Tap 2-8 times in the 2X2 grid shown to set your knock code. Then tap the Continue button.
Re-tap your code and tap the Confirm button.
Note: Follow the on-screen instructions to create a backup PIN number in case you forget your knock code.
When the screen is off, tap the sequence of your Knock Code anywhere on the screen to access the Home screen directly. You can enter your code in a small space, or over the full width of the phone.
When your device is on, and you are on the locked screen, tap your Knock Code in the area enclosed by angle brackets under the clock widget to unlock your phone.
Note: Images simulated. Actual device does not display numbers or show highlighted circles when the screen is pressed.
After five incorrect Knock Code atempts, a notification appears saying “Wrong Knock code entered 5 times in a row...” and a Forgot Knock code? button appears at the bottom right side of the screen. Read the notification, and tap OK.
The next screen shows a 2x2 grid that provides the same environment as a Knock Code setup for a more accurate input.
If you incorrectly enter your Knock code for the 6th time, you cannot enter it anymore. You should unlock your phone by logging into your Google account or by entering the backup PIN (if created) and tap OK.
If you do not have a Google account added to your device, you will need to perform a factory reset.
Caution: A factory reset will delete all user applications and user data not backed up. To learn how to backup your user data, click here.
To perform a factory reset:
- Turn the phone off.
- Press and hold the Volume Down key + Power/Lock key on the side of the phone.
- Release the keys as soon as Recovery mode is displayed.
- Press the Volume Down key to scroll to wipe data/factory reset. Then press the Power/Lock key to select it.
- Press the Volume Down key to scroll to Yes -- delete all user data. Then press the Power/Lock key to select it.
- Your device will perform a hard reset.
- Make sure that reboot system now is highlighted and press the Power/Lock key to make the selection and reboot your phone.