LG ELECTRONICS HIGHLIGHTS GLOBAL INITIATIVE: ‘LIFE’S GOOD WHEN IT’S GREEN’
LAS VEGAS, Jan. 7, 2009 – LG Electronics, a global leader and technology innovator in consumer electronics, today announced its “Life’s Good When it’s Green” initiative, the foundation of its global sustainability program.
The worldwide Life’s Good When it’s Green program focuses on sustainability through Eco-Design and Eco-Products, reduction of hazardous materials, responsible electronics recycling and addressing global climate change, according to LG’s President and Chief Technology Officer Dr. Woo Paik. He will highlight the initiative and LG’s line of Eco-Products this week at the 2009 International CES®.
“With Life’s Good When it’s Green, we’re focusing on environmentally sustainable solutions, developing Eco-Designs and distributing Eco-Products to help create a safer, cleaner world,” said Paik. “We are committed to establishing clear operational accountability and creating products that not only enhance consumers’ lives, but also encourage an environmentally responsible lifestyle.”
Recycling and energy efficiency programs in the United States will be highlighted at CES 2009, while Dr. Paik will explain key components of the global Life’s Good When it’s Green initiative, including:
• Eco-Design – LG’s Eco-Design strategy works to reduce the environmental impact of a product’s development, production, and circulation while improving efficiency of resources, recycling, and reducing hazardous materials.
• Eco-Products – LG’s Eco-Products from HDTVs to clothes washers to mobile phones use the Eco-Design. Such Eco-Products are resource- and energy-efficient, generating less waste.
• Hazardous Materials – LG adheres to strict requirements regarding the management of hazardous materials in its production processes.
• Take-Back & Recycling – LG Electronics has established several take-back programs and recycling facilities, allowing consumers to return end-of-life products. Products are recycled in a responsible manner.
• Climate Change – LG will announce a set of global green policies called “Life’s Green 2020” at CES. To address global climate change, LG is pledging to work to reduce greenhouse gases emitted both in the production process and over the lifetime of its products.
o In manufacturing, LG’s goal is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 150 kilotons per year by 2020.
o In products, LG intends to reduce greenhouse gasses emitted over the lifetime of its products by 30 megatons by 2020.
• Eco-Supply Chain – This program requires that LG’s vendors also comply with national and international regulations. LG will work to require its supply chain vendors to reduce/eliminate use of hazardous materials to help reduce the impact to the environment.
• Environmental Safety – LG’s stabilization policy encourages sustainable development and eco-production to help improve energy, environment, safety, and health.
• Environmental Communication – LG Electronics has developed an eco-label, the company’s own environmental certification label, and participates in government-run programs. The purpose of obtaining eco-labels is to mark LG products as either environmentally-friendly or energy-saving products in order to ensure that customers are positively aware of the aspect of environmental safety in LG products.
In the United States, LG’s Life’s Good When it’s Green initiatives range from unique energy efficient products to nationwide recycling programs and consumer-facing programs. Highlights of current programs include:
• Energy Star 3.0 – LG’s 2009 HDTVs are designed to achieve the new Energy Star 3.0 rating and incorporate energy saving features. The new Energy Star ratings measure active power consumption for the first time. As a participant in the voluntary Energy Star program, LG’s 2009 HDTVs will be up to 30 percent more efficient than non-qualified models.
• Smart Energy Savings – LG’s 2009 HDTVs feature capabilities such as Intelligent Sensor, “video mute,” ISFccc and new backlight control systems for added energy saving options.
• LG Electronics Recycling Program – LG Electronics has teamed up with Waste Management Inc. to collect, transport and recycle consumer electronics products for the national LG Electronics Recycling Program. The LG Electronics Recycling Program provides consumers with a free and convenient way of recycling their used, unwanted, obsolete or damaged LG consumer electronic products by dropping them off at a designated Waste Management eCycling Center, available in all 50 states.
• LG Skycharger – At CES, LG’s Skycharger provides a quick and secure place to charge mobile phones made by most major manufacturers, outdoors and away from traditional power sources. This self-sustaining, freestanding, mobile phone charging station runs on wind and solar power. With a peak power of 1Kw, the LG Skycharger can recharge up to 104 mobile phones per hour, and stores any unused energy in its battery bank. The station offers an informational panel that provides a fully functional weather report, along with information on power generated and consumed within the station. The LG Skycharger will debut at CES 2009 as the first charger of its kind in the United States.
• Energy Efficient Appliances – From steam clothes washers to refrigerator-freezers to dishwashers, energy-efficient LG home appliances are on display at CES 2009. LG’s most recent innovation, the Ultra Capacity SteamWasher™ is among the most water- and energy-efficient washers available today. SteamWashers are more than 110 percent more efficient than the minimum federal standard, saving more than 8,000 gallons of water each year compared to traditional, non-Energy Star, top loading washers.
LG’s full line of eco-products can be seen at 2009 CES®, Booth #8214, Central Hall, Las Vegas Convention Center. To learn more about LG’s Life’s Good When it’s Green initiatives and LG’s sustainability program, please visit http://www.lg.com/about/sustainability/main.html.
About LG Electronics USA
LG Electronics USA, Inc., based in Englewood Cliffs, N.J., is the North American subsidiary of LG Electronics, Inc., a global force and technology leader in consumer electronics, home appliances and mobile communications. In the United States, LG Electronics sells a range of stylish and innovative home entertainment products, mobile phones, home appliances and business solutions, all under LG’s “Life’s Good” marketing theme. For more information, please visit www.LGusa.com.
About LG Electronics, Inc.
LG Electronics, Inc. (KSE: 066570.KS) is a global leader and technology innovator in consumer electronics, home appliances and mobile communications, employing more than 82,000 people working in 114 operations including 82 subsidiaries around the world. With annual worldwide revenues exceeding $40 billion, LG Electronics comprises five business units: Home Entertainment, Home Appliance, Air Conditioning, Business Solutions and Mobile Communications. LG is one of the world’s leading producers of mobile handsets, flat panel TVs, air conditioners, front-loading washing machines, optical storage products, DVD players and home theater systems. For more information, please visit www.lg.com.