Can I upgrade my phone wirelessly?
■ When you experience a software issue (refer to following list of symptoms), please upgrade the
phone software to the latest version via FOTA (Firmware-Over-The- Air) before calling LG
Customer Service Call Center.
- Resets itself on receiving / sending messages
- Intermittently reset when changing to specific modes or applying specific scenario
- Phone randomly powers off
- Phone randomly freezes or hangs
Non-conforming function and operation of application
■ FOTA (Firmware-Over-The-Air):
FOTA is a wireless tool to update smart phones software. This method is recommended for
customers’ convenience and also you don’t have to do anything to use FOTA. If the mobile
phone supports FOTA, you can download the firmware update over the air directly from the
(FOTA service providers such as Bell, Rogers, Telus, etc.) or LGE.
It also allows manufacturers and operators to "push out" firmware updates to ensure their
consumers have the latest software improvement which helps to save time and cost while
increasing consumer satisfaction.
How to Setup
■ How can I check if the software is the latest version?
Go to Settings → General Tab à About phone → Update Center → Software Update
→ Check now for update
■ FOTA User Interface – Download & Install
※ Before proceeding with FOTA, please use a proper Wi-Fi network to avoid high data fees,
ensure battery is fully charged and have sufficient device memory.
Please do not remove the battery during the upgrade.
■ FOTA FAQs
a) Moving from Wi-Fi environment to 3G while downloading in Wi-Fi/3G option.
- Downloading will continue in 3G network.
- When ‘Wi-Fi Only’ is selected, downloading will be paused as Wi-Fi network is disconnected
Once Wi-Fi network is reconnected, download will restart.
b) Disconnection of 3G/Wi-Fi network while downloading.
- Due to a resume function, downloading will continue from where it paused.
c) Is software update still available after rooting?
- During the process of verifying current software before installing new software,
the update will not be available anymore, if the current software has been modified by rooting or other process.
- FOTA is designed to only download and install modified areas instead of updating a FULL IMAGE.
d) While installing after download, what happens if the installation stops due to battery?
- Once the power turns back on, download will restart from where it paused with resume function.
e) Are customer’s data saved?
- As user’s data are saved in a different location, data will not be deleted.
However, data back-up is recommended as it cannot be guaranteed.
f) When a number of SW are available, can I update my phone straight to the latest version?
- Since FOTA is designed to only download modified areas, therefore the machine needs to be updated in a sequential order.
g) Is there any difference in SW between the Web Update and the FOTA update?
- SW update will be the same as that of Web Update, once the latest version is installed by FOTA.