In general, you can visit LGE on the World Wide Web without having to reveal any personal information. The extent of the information that we collect depends on the information that you provide us. By registering and/or requesting information on this website, you consent to the collection, use and transfer of your information under the terms of this policy.
There are two types of information we collect from visitors to the Website: (1) Personal Information; and (2) Non-Personal Information.
(1) Personal Information
"Personal Information" is information that identifies you personally, or information from which you are identifiable, such as your name, telephone number, email address, or in some cases your IP address where this can be used to identify you. When you visit www.africa.lge.com/africa you may be asked to provide certain Personal Information; when such information is provided to us, LGE may collect and store the provided Personal Information.
Below are some examples of manners in which we may collect your Personal Information; This list is not exhaustive but provides examples of the Personal Information that may be collected by LGE. If you do not want LGE to collect your Personal Information, please do not provide it to us, but it may be necessary to fulfil a service to you.
Examples of Personal Information we collect:
Full Name; Email Address; Phone Number; Country; Product/Service information which may be tied to your personal information; Social media tags; Voice; Images.
Why we collect your personal information:
- • To fulfil a service to you, such as a warranty service on an LG product, a product purchase or where you contact us with a question related to a product or our service or general customer service;
- • If you provide your details for a survey (you are under no obligation to fill a survey);
- • If you create an LG user account;
- • If you provide your details in relation to a promotion, competition or prize draw;
- • If you provide your personal information for any purpose;
- • If you send us an email with Personal Information;
- • To ensure website is relevant to your requirements.
How we use your Personal Information:
- • Contractual necessity – this is where it is necessary for us to store, use, share or collect your Personal Information to fulfil a service to you, such as answering you about a query you raise to us, or fulfilling a warranty service to you. Where necessary, we may disclose your information to a third party to assist us in providing such services, like a logistics company to return your goods, an authorised service centre to repair your goods, or the website service provider who maintains and updates the website.
- • Legitimate Interest - this is where we store, use, share or collect your personal information to fulfil a business interest. This can include us (or any other party on our behalf) contacting you on promotions, where you have previously taken part in promotions, or us (or any other party on our behalf) contacting you with information on our products and services or to request a product review. Again you may provide your information directly to these third parties acting on our behalf, or alternatively, we may share your data with these parties solely to fulfil that business interest.
- • Legal compliance – This is where we need to collect, store, use or retain your personal information for purposes relating to compliance with law. We may disclose and retain your personal information where it is a legal requirement, for product safety or as per the limitation periods under relevant legislations e.g. if you make a claim.
- • Consent – Where you have provided active consent for us to use your personal information for a specific purpose, this can be via an opt – in box, a button, writing to us, creating an account on our website, or any other active method of indicating your consent for us to use your data in a certain way. Where you have consented, you can exercise your right to revoke your consent (to said use) by writing to us or where indicated, for example by opting out or unsubscribing to marketing emails/communications that you previously consented to.
- • Public interest – we may disclose your personal information in circumstances where we need to protect the safety of end users and/or for the prevention of fraud and other matters relating to the administration of justice.
How we may share or disclose your Personal Information
- • To fulfil a service to you. For example, if you request for an item from our website we may share your Personal Information in order to provide the item to you. In addition, if you email us a question, we may use your email address to process your request and respond to your question. In addition, if you purchase a product via our website, we may need to share your data with third parties in order to have that product delivered to you and installed as you requested. Also, if you are entering a competition or prize draw, we may use your Personal Information in order to fulfil the terms of that promotion.
- • To our parent company, subsidiaries and affiliates in order to better serve you. LGE may have to share your data with these parties in order to provide you with services that have been requested by you, or so that we can ensure our services and products are meeting your needs. For example, in some instances LGE may be required to transfer your data to our parent company in the Republic of Korea in order to provide you with a product or service requested by you, but will do so in full compliance with all applicable data protection legislations.
- • To carefully selected third-parties including:
- 1. Service providers, agents or independent contractors who help us maintain our website and provide other administrative services to us (including, but not limited to, order processing and fulfilment, providing customer service, maintaining and analysing data, sending customer communications on LGE’s behalf, and entry collection, winner selection and prize fulfilment for contests, sweepstakes and other promotions).
- 2. Business partners where necessary, to enable you access to services you request or sign up for through our products or any promotional material related to these services.
- • To comply with the law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary in order to conform to the requirements of law or comply with legal process served on us, protect and defend our rights or property, including the rights and property of LGE or act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of our end users.
- • To third parties as part of any corporate reorganisation process including, but not limited to, mergers, acquisitions, and sales of all or substantially all of our assets.
- • To protect against potential fraud, we may verify with third parties the information collected from our website.
Collection and use of information from persons under the age of 18
LGE does not intentionally collect or solicit Personal Information from anyone under the age of 18 nor intentionally allow such persons to use our website. Users under the age of 18 are requested not to register on our website and not to provide personal data. If we become aware that a minor under the age of 18 has provided us with personal data, we will promptly delete such data.
(2) Non-Personal Information
This can be technical information which could be used for regular functioning of our website, and are deleted immediately after their treatment. They can also be used to ascertain responsibility in the event of any computer crimes against our website or to protect our rights, such as:
- • Data on products. We collect data regarding the products that you purchase or for which you request support services through our website. Product data may include the product code or model number, the product category or firmware and software version information, country code or device ID and the like.
- • IP Address. (the unique address which identifies your computer on the internet; which is automatically recognized by our server); When you use the Website, we may automatically log your IP address for the sole purpose of obtaining anonymous statistical information on the use of the Website.
- • Usage Information. Usage Information refers to all information collected from our website such as what action has been applied to the website such as clicking logs or how you may be using our website.
- • Cookie. A "cookie" is a small text file that may be used to collect information about your activity on the Website. Unless you have indicated your objection when disclosing your details to us, our system will issue cookies to your computer when you log on to the site. For example, when someone visits a page within the Website, a cookie is placed on the user's machine (if the user accepts cookies) or is read if the user has visited the Website previously. Cookies may also be used to track users across the Web. You may set most browsers to notify you if you receive a cookie, or you may choose to block cookies with your browser, but if you do, you may not be able to take advantage of the personalized features enjoyed by other users who visit the Website. Some of the cookies we use may be flash cookies or Adobe cookies. Depending on your browser, these cookies may not be automatically deleted. Please check your browser to determine where these types of cookies are stored and how they may be deleted.
We use reasonable technical and organisational methods to safeguard your information, for example, by password protecting (via usernames and passwords unique to you) certain parts of the Website and by using SSL encryption and firewalls to protect against unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration or destruction. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
If we learn of a security systems breach we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. By using our Website or providing Personal Information to us you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy and administrative issues relating to your use of our Website. We may post a notice on our Website if a security breach occurs. We may also send an email to you at the email address you have provided to us in these circumstances.
Your Personal Information will be retained for as long is reasonably necessary for the purposes listed in this policy and these are either for legitimate business interests, as required by law or as necessary to perform a service to you. We may keep an anonymised form of your Personal Information which will no longer refer to you, for statistical purposes without time limits, to the extent that we have a legitimate and lawful interest in doing so.
You have the right to: (i) request information on and access to all the Personal Information we hold about you; (ii) request that any inaccurate Personal Information we hold be corrected; (iii) to object to certain types of processing of your Personal Information we carry out (including the right to opt-out of any direct marketing); (iv) request that we delete the Personal Information we hold about you, subject to conditions in relevant data regulations; and (v) to request a copy of your Personal Information in a machine readable, commonly used format (or to request we transfer your Personal Information in such a format to a third party service provider).
Whilst some of these rights can be exercised by you directly through our website, many of the rights, such as those relating to requests to delete your personal information, will need to be submitted to us. We will consider such responses and respond to you within 30 days. We may charge you a small fee and may require verification of your identity for providing a copy of your information as permitted by law.
Transfer Outside your country of residence
If you choose to provide us with Personal Information, LGE may transfer the information to its affiliates and subsidiaries or to other third parties, across borders and store it in a destination outside Africa. It may also be processed by staff operating outside Africa who work for us, our parent company in the Republic of Korea or for one of our suppliers. This includes staff engaged in, among other things, the fulfilment of your order, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services. Please note, these may be to other jurisdictions around the world, which may not have the same data protection laws as your country, but be aware that LGE adopts suitable precautions, and shall take reasonable measures and appropriate safeguards necessary to guarantee the protection, security and confidentiality of the Personal Information being transferred in accordance with this policy and applicable laws i.e. by having adequate (data transfer) contracts in place with any transferee(s) and/or by procuring that transferees are certified by relevant and adequate privacy mechanisms.
Where possible, you will minimise the amount of personal information you share with us, so we both comply with the data minimisation principle. Should you share personal information excessive to the purposes required, it should be in a pseudonymised or anonymised format. All personal information should be transmitted to us in a secure manner.
Should you have any queries on this policy or on your privacy with LGE generally, we request that you either write to our address above directing any communication to the Data Privacy Manager, or alternatively you can also contact our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.