Winter may not be the most energetic season of the year… Getting your gusto back can be especially hard after a holiday high—plus, all the merriment and indulgence may have taken its toll. Not to worry: it’s time to shake off the winter blues and get back in the game of life with more energy and enthusiasm. It’s a new year after all—why not try a few zany tricks to increase your energy levels? Here’s what you can do throughout your day to feel more present and more awake than ever:
Cool off your wrists and take a snow bath!
It’s no secret that cold water can help awaken you… Ever get a bowl of icy water spilled on your head at a slumber party? Well, why not use some cool H2O to your advantage: it’s available almost anywhere!
- Chinese medicine promotes cold baths for health and longevity. Traditionally, that meant submerging your entire body in a tub of freezing water. But, you don’t have to go that far to get an energy boost—unless you think you can handle it—then get in that tub! Or here’s an idea: turn off the hot water for a minute or two during your morning shower and let the chill truly awaken you. You can also submerge your feet in ice-cold water for a couple minutes to stimulate the acupressure points.
- Having a busy, hectic day? Make a stop in the restroom and immerse your face in cold water. It’s both invigorating and soothing—an instant energy boost that may even refresh your mind. Or you can run your wrists under cool water for several minutes to get a similar effect.
- Finally, the most daring cold trick of all: snow! Next time there’s a snowstorm, use it as a chance to give yourself a natural health treatment. Step out into the backyard in underwear or a bathing suit, rub yourself with snow (don’t be gentle, get into the powder) then run back in and take a hot shower. To say you’ll feel energized is an understatement!
Camel Ride or Downward-Facing Dog?
The age-old Indian practice of yoga has become a beloved staple of modern-day fitness all over the world. It is known to be a form of exercise that combines wellbeing for the mind and body. It can strengthen and relax you simultaneously; it can keep you fit and promote a peaceful mind. But if you can’t make it to a full-length class (or even if you can), are there ways to incorporate it throughout your busy day? The answer is, “Yes!” There are a slew of yoga poses that can give you a quick energy boost—so, go ahead, take that midday yoga break…
- Feeling slumped? Try a Spinal Flex/Camel Ride to help energize the spine. Sit cross-legged, holding onto your calves or shins; inhale as you lift your chest forward and exhale as you round your back, chin to chest. Repeat this motion for several minutes, increasing your speed as you go.
- Get into a Half-Moon Pose when you’re feeling fatigued and can use some balance. Fold forward and place your right hand 6 to 12 inches in front of your right foot. Lift the left leg up, open your hips and rotate your torso to the left. Extend your left arm up and gaze forward or upward at your left hand. Stay in this pose for several deep breaths; then repeat it on the other side.
- Ever heard of the Downward-Facing Dog? Probably the most popular yoga pose, this move is a fantastic rejuvenator—just step away from your desk and try it! Come onto your hands and knees: your knees aligned with your hips and your hands slightly in front of your shoulders, palms spread. Push up and straighten your arms and legs to form a triangle; stretch your heels down toward the floor. Stay in this pose for a couple minutes to stretch your muscles and allow blood to flow to your brain. Come out gently and rest inChild’s Pose.
What do laughter, seeds, and the color red have in common?
- Healthy nutrition as a whole helps stabilize your energy levels—but you’re probably aware of that fact (the new year is a great time to develop a healthy food plan). However, you may not be aware of an age-old super-seed that was once a staple food for ancient civilizations. Well, listen up: you may want to include this seed as part of your nutrition! Chia seeds contain tons of nutrients and can increase energy and stamina. Sprinkle them on your yogurt, oatmeal, or salad, or find your own way to eat ‘em up!
Do you know of some fun energy-boosting techniques? Share below!
LG is not in any way affiliated with these organizations or individuals, nor do these organizations endorse or sponsor LG products.