Fun is the first word, with a recipe that welcomes family participation and sugar-coated smiles.
Serves: MAKES 20 CAKES
1. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into a mixing bowl.
2. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
3. Whisk together the milk, eggs, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl.
4. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir by hand just until the batter is evenly moistened.
5. Heat the oil to 350°F in a deep pan or deep fryer.
6. Using a 2-ounce ladle, drizzle the batter into the oil in a spiral pattern to form a loose cake approximately 4 inches in diameter.
7. Fry until golden brown on the first side, about 30 seconds.
8. Turn the cakes over and fry until golden brown on the second side, about 30 seconds.
9. Remove the cakes from the oil and drain on paper towels.
10. Dust with confectioner’s sugar. Serve immediately.