Sandra Lee's Football Hand Pies
Expect a blitz around the dessert table when you put out these fruity, fun and hard-to-fumble treats.
Makes: 8 pies
Total Time: Prep: 30 minutes, Bake: 10 minutes, Cool: 5 minutes
- 1 cup apple pie filling (chop apples into smaller pieces)
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 package refrigerated piecrust (2 crusts)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. In a small bowl, combine pie filling, pecans, and cinnamon. Using kitchen shears, cut apples into small pieces; set aside.
3. In a small bowl, beat egg and the water with a fork until combined; set aside.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 crust out to about 12 inches. Using a football-shape cookie cutter, cut 8 shapes. Brush edge of shapes with egg mixture. Place about 1 tablespoon of apple mixture on each circle.
5. Roll out second crust and cut 8 more football shapes. Place crust over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal. Transfer to a large cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
6. In a small bowl, combine the 1 tablespoon cinnamon and 1/4 cup sugar. Brush pies with egg mixture and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Using a fork, poke holes in top of pies. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until lightly browned.
7. Cool for 5 minutes and remove from pan. When fully cooled, transfer to a reusable plastic container in a single layer. Store for up to 1 day.
8. In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough milk to create a piping consistency. Transfer to small resealable plastic bag. Transfer to tailgate. When ready to serve cut a small corner of bag. Decorate pies to look like footballs.
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee, The Magazine © January/February 2013 issue. Copyright © 2013 Sandra Lee and TV Guide Magazine.