Check out our new twist on this traditional favorite.
Serves: MAKES 8 SERVINGS
- 1 egg
- 6 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/4 cups mascarpone cheese
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup espresso
- 1/2 cup Kahlúa
- 48 ladyfingers
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1. Whip the egg, egg yolks, 1 cup of the sugar, and the vanilla together in a large stainless steel bowl over simmering water for about 3–4 minutes, or until the volume nearly doubles and the mixture becomes a light lemon yellow.
2. Transfer the egg and sugar mixture to an electric mixing bowl and beat on high speed until the mixture has cooled to room temperature, about 8–10 minutes.
3. Add the mascarpone and blend on low speed until very smooth, about 2–3 minutes.
4. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to blend evenly.
5. Beat the egg whites with the remaining sugar in a clean bowl to medium-stiff peaks, about 5–6 minutes.
6. Fold the beaten egg whites into the mascarpone mixture in two additions.
7. Refrigerate until needed.
8. Combine the espresso and Kahlúa to make syrup.
9. Place a layer of ladyfingers in a 2-1/2-quart bowl.
10. Moisten the ladyfingers well with the syrup and dust evenly with cocoa powder.
11. Top with a 1-inch thick layer of the mascarpone filling.
12. Repeat layering in this sequence until the bowl is full, ending with a layer of filling.
12. Dust the entire surface of the cake with cocoa power and powdered sugar.
12. Chill thoroughly before serving.
LG PRODUCTS HELP YOU COOK IN STYLE