Vegetable Pickes are quick and easy to make and will add a little zing to cut through the rich cheeses and meats that pair well with them.
Time Estimate: 1 hour
Serves: 1 Quart
- Carrots 3 Each
- Red Bell Pepper 1 Each
- Yellow Bell Pepper 1 Each
- Cauliflower 1 Head
- Cider Vinegar 1 Cup
- White Sugar 1 Cup
- Salt 1/2 Tsp
- Red Pepper Flakes 1 Tsp
1. Peel and slice the carrots 1/4 inch thick on the bias.
2. Remove the seeds and ribs from the red and yellow bell peppers; slice into 1/4 inch strips.
3. Cut the cauliflower into small pieces, approximately the same size as the carrots and pepper.
4. Place all of the vegetables in a heat proof bowl and toss to combine.
5. Combine the vinegar, water, sugar, salt and red pepper flakes into a sauce pan.
6. Bring the pan to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally to insure the sugar dissolves.
7. Pour the hot liquid over the vegetables and place the bowl to cool to room temperature
8. Once cooled to room temperature, store the vegetables and the liquid in an airtight container in the refrigerator
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: The pickles will taste best if they are made 2 to 3 days before they are used