LG TVs are equipped with innovative features that make it easy to share screen and display content between your external devices like your PC, tablet, smartphone and more.
There are multiple ways to connect and they all depend on your network connectivity and the type of device you wish to share.
In the case you are using a Mac device to share your information, AirPlay will only allow you to stream to a Mac device, however LG supports AirPlay 2 in its 2019 models.
You can share screen directly from an iPhone to an Apple TV using AirPlay. Airplay is the official screen sharing technology from Apple.
- iPhone 4 or later
- IPhone or iPad mini
- iPod touch (4th generation or later)
You can stream content to these devices:
- For photos and videos: Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation)
- For music: Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation), Airport Express, or AirPlay-enabled speakers
How to stream:
- Connect your iOS device and Apple TV or AirPort Express to the same Wi-Fi network.
- On your iOS device, swipe up from the bottom of your screen to access Control Center.
- Tap AirPlay .
- Tap the name of the device you want to stream content to. You'll see icons of a TV screen or speaker next to each device so you know what tpe of content you can stream. On iPad, you might need to scroll to see all the available devices in the device lost.
- When you use AirPlay Mirroring, your TV uses the orientation and aspect ratio of your device. If you want the image from your device fill your TV screen, you might need to adjust your TV's aspect ratio.
To share your screen from a Mac Computer, you need to ensure computer and the TV supports AirPlay2.
- Click on the AirPlay icon on the right side of your Mac's menu bar.
- Click on Apple TV from the drop down. (If you have multiple Apple TV's in the vicinity, choose the one you want to use right now.)
- Click on Mirror Built-In Display to mirror your Mac's native resolution on your TV.
- Click on Mirror Apple TV to resize your Mac's resolution to match the resolution of your TV.
- Click on Use as Separate Display to have your Mac extend your desktop and treat your TV as an additional display.
To turn off AirPlay, click on the AirPlay icon on the right side of your Mac's menu bar and select Turn AirPlay Off.
LG do not make a dedicated Mac Application that supports Smart Share.
In the case you don’t have a 2019 LG TV, an alternative to screen share is using Plex Media Server.
- AirPlay doesn't offer multi-room audio; AirPlay 2 does
- AirPlay lets you stream from any Apple device to your speakers or TV
- AirPlay 2 lets you play from speakers over Wi-Fi, and it'll stay un sync
- AirPlay 2 lets play different songs in different rooms with multiple HomePods
Which Apple devices support AirPlay 2?
- AirpPlay works on all lder iPhones, iPads, Macs, and Apple TVs
- AirPlay 2 is compatible with recent iPhones, iPads, and Mac computers
- AirPlay also works with Apple iPod Touch 2015 and the new HomePod
Which LG devices offer AirPlay 2?
- LG OLED (2019)
- LG NanoCell SM9X (2019)
- LG NanoCell SM8X (2019)
- LG UHD UM7X (2019)