Your First Wash
Are you ready for the best wash ever? With your new LG washer you'll be taking great care of your clothes and linens from the very first wash. Follow our simple guide to get started.
KNOW YOUR TOP LOAD WASHER
You're now a top load washer owner, so welcome to a new world of laundry possibilities. As you'll soon find out, there are a lot of differences between your new washer and the washer you grew up with.
- The Basics:
- Top load machines allow you to add a soak option to an existing cycle, unlike front load washers. This means you can soak clothing before active washing for an improved wash performance.
- When it comes to innovation:
- LG top load washers have many innovative features, like our unique 6Motion™ Technology. It combines up to 6 different wash motions in one cycle for outstanding cleaning, while being gentle on fabrics. See for yourself.
Your First Wash, Step-by-Step
Use this helpful guide to make sure everything goes great with your first wash.
Sort clothes into loads that can be washed with the same wash cycle. For example, separate dark fabrics from light colors and whites to prevent color transfer and discoloration. Do not wash heavily soiled items with lightly soiled ones.
Check pockets to make sure they're empty. Clips, matches, pens, coins, and keys can damage the washer, and your clothes.
Close zippers, hooks and drawstrings to prevent them from snagging or tangling on other clothes.
Pre-treat heavily stained areas for best results.
Combine large and small items in a load, and always start with the large items–just like packing your bag.
Add the detergent. Open the dispenser drawer and add HE detergent to the main wash compartment. If needed, add bleach and fabric softener in the designated location.
Turn on the washer. Press the ON/OFF button. The lights on the control panel should illuminate.
Select a cycle.
Press the CYCLES button to choose a cycle. The display will show the preset wash/rinse temperature, spin speed, soil level, and all the option settings for that cycle.
Select a cycle SETTING.
Now you can change the settings for the chosen cycle. Simply press the option button(s) to see the additional settings available for each option. Press the button again to cycle through the settings until you find the setting you're looking for. To protect your clothes, not every wash/rinse temperature, spin speed, soil level, or option is available with every cycle.
Select cycle options.
It's time to add additional cycle options. All you have to do is to press the button for the chosen option or press OPTION to see more cycle alternatives.
Press the START/PAUSE button and cycle will begin. You can pause the cycle at any time by pressing the START/PAUSE button again.
Check cycle time.
Once you close the lid and press the START/PAUSE button, the lid will latch, the washer will calculate the estimated time remaining, and the washer will start. Now that you have your first wash completed, you're ready to enjoy years of clean clothes.
GOOD TO KNOW
- Large items, like sheets and towels, should not be more than half of the total load.
- The washer can be fully loaded, but should not be tightly packed with items. A good rule of thumb is that items do not protrude past the top of the drum so that the lid of the washer will close easily.
- Do not wash single items to prevent out-of-balance load–which will cause vibration and noise. Always add one or two similar items to the load. And, wash large bulky items like blankets, comforters or bedspreads individually.
- It is recommended to use the Bulky/Bedding Cycle with a low spin speed when washing water-proof or water-resistant items, to help protect the fabric's properties.
- Top load washers rotate the wet laundry to use less water. So, if you don't see water during the cycle, don't worry. Your laundry is being well taken care of.
Need help setting up your washer? Click here for our installation guide.