Launches “LG Text Ed” Campaign Including Interactive Website for Parents
SAN DIEGO, Feb 24, 2010 – LG Electronics MobileComm U.S.A., Inc. (LG Mobile Phones) today introduced LG Text Ed, a multifaceted campaign that provides parents with the know-how and resources they need to promote responsible mobile phone usage among their text-savvy children. Through extensive in-depth research, LG discovered that mobile phone misuse such as sexting, harassment, sending gossipy texts, and forwarding inappropriate images is prevalent among today’s teenage youth. Yet, many parents are still in the dark about the myriad ways kids can misuse their mobile phones.
A first-of-its-kind program among mobile phone manufacturers in the U.S., LG Text Ed includes an advisory council of experts who will provide parents with information on a range of topics—from sexting to phone etiquette to driving while texting—via a new website: www.LGTextEd.com. Building on its highly praised Give It A Ponder viral campaign that targets teens with comedic and lighthearted web-based videos, LG Text Ed will reach parents through a dedicated website and a variety of online and public service type marketing platforms.
Designed to be a one-stop-shop for anyone seeking guidance on text messaging behavior, the LG Text Ed website will house resources from the advisory council such as monthly articles, tips, videos and an interactive question and answer forum. Other tools include www.lgdtxtr.com, a site that allows parents to familiarize themselves with common texting terminology and to decode cryptic text messages their kids may be using.
LG Text Ed Council
LG has formed a council of leading experts who will serve in an advisory capacity to LG and provide materials for the LG Text Ed website on a monthly basis. Recognized and praised for their work with teens and tweens, they include:
• Rosalind Wiseman - Author of the bestselling Queen Bees and Wannabes (the basis for the 2004 movie, Mean Girls) and the young adult novel Boys, Girls, & Other Hazardous Materials. Wiseman is internationally recognized as an expert on children, teens, parenting, social justice, and ethical leadership. She is passionate about her work to raise awareness about today’s social challenges facing tweens and teens, and their parents. In addition to penning a monthly column in Family Circle magazine, Wiseman is the creator of the Owning Up curriculum, designed to challenge students and educators to stand up to social cruelty, degradation and violence.
• Dr. Charles Sophy - a leading psychiatrist specializing in Adult, Child & Adolescent Psychiatry and Family Practice, has dedicated his life to the physical and mental well-being of children and families nationwide. He currently serves as the Medical Director for the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS), the nation's largest Child Welfare System. Dr. Sophy was presented with both the Discovery Award from the Zimmer Children's Museum and the Children's Voices Award from the Village Family Services for his tireless commitment to the well-being of his community’s families. In addition to his county position, Dr. Sophy maintains a private practice in Los Angeles and much of his time is spent lecturing across the country to various health care professionals, medical students, social workers and parents. Dr. Sophy is consistently sought after, as the family expert by various media outlets including Larry King Live, the Today Show, Anderson Cooper 360, countless radio programs, on-line and print publications. He maintains a blog on Psychology Today and his own website www.drsophy.com. Dr. Sophy released his book February 3, 2010: Side by Side: The Revolutionary Mother-Daughter Program for Conflict-Free Communication.
• Dr. Joel Haber – A clinical psychologist and parenting expert, Dr. Haber has dedicated more than 20 years to the prevention of abusive behaviors in children and adults. The official bullying consultant to the American Camp Association, Dr. Haber leads popular workshops and conference sessions on bullying, online bullying and violence prevention nationwide. He is also co-founder of Tool Kits for Kids, author of Bullyproof Your Child For Life and founder of the Respect U, a bully prevention and management program used in schools, camps, organizations, sports teams and families.
“With leadership comes responsibility,” said Ehtisham Rabbani, vice president of marketing and innovation for LG Mobile Phones. “Years of research have resulted in LG putting more QWERTY devices in the hands of consumers than any other manufacturer. LG Text Ed is a comprehensive and interactive way for us to bridge the generation gap between parents and teens and play a role in constructive mobile phone use.”
To ensure its LG Text Ed campaign provides parents with credible and helpful strategies, LG Mobile Phones conducted research with tweens and teens across the country to gain valuable insights into certain mobile phone behaviors such as sexting, harassment and other practices. Based on their in-depth research, LG discovered that negative mobile behavior is so deeply engrained in teen culture that it often fails to register as negative at all.
LG also learned that a certain group of teens is more likely to engage in negative cell phone behavior than others; the company has classified this group, the “Tabloid Teens.” The youth associated with this term usually belong to an accepted social circle or clique, and use gossip as a form of social currency to further their status among peers. These sensation-craving teens were found to be the perpetrators of this behavior as well as the victims. This is in stark contrast to the widespread belief that bullies single-out those of a perceived lower social status.
From the research, LG realized three key take-aways:
• Negative cell phone behavior is extremely common among teens, and assumes many formats (gossipy texts, embarrassing photos, threats, etc.) Every single respondent interviewed agreed that negative cell phone behavior is common among their peers—a regular part of teen life—and most were able to provide detailed examples.
• Teens don’t call this behavior “bullying”; it differs significantly from traditional bullying, and in fact, teens don’t typically regard it as intentionally hurtful.
• The role of pure “bystander” doesn’t exist: at some point, nearly all teens have been actively engaged in behaviors that bully. Teens readily admit to being “bystanders” to negative cell phone behaviors, and feel little shame about their role in the action, even when they are passively or actively passing along information they receive.
LG is committed to combating these staggering findings with a comprehensive initiative that seeks to equip parents with the best tools to educate themselves and their children. For more information on the LG Text Ed campaign and additional information on mobile phone misuse please visit, www.lgtexted.com. Details of the teen focus campaign Give It A Ponder can be found at www.giveitaponder.com. To review the in-depth research results please refer to the related document section (to the right of the release).
# # #
About LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company
LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company is a leading global mobile communication and information company. LG creates handsets that provide an optimized mobile experience to customers around the world with its cutting-edge technology and innovative handset design capabilities. Increasingly, LG is pursuing convergence technology and mobile computing products. LG will continue to take leadership in the mobile communication environment with stylish designs and smart technology. For more information, please visit www.lgmobilephones.com.
About LG Electronics, Inc.
LG Electronics, Inc. (KSE: 066570.KS) is a global leader and technology innovator in consumer electronics, mobile communications and home appliances, employing more than 84,000 people working in 115 operations including 84 subsidiaries around the world. With 2009 global sales of USD43.4 billion, LG is comprised of five business units –- Home Entertainment, Mobile Communications, Home Appliance, Air Conditioning and Business Solutions. LG is the world’s leading producer of flat panel TVs, audio and video products, mobile handsets, air conditioners and washing machines. LG has signed a long-term agreement to become both a Global Partner and a Technology Partner of Formula One™. As part of this top-level association, LG acquires exclusive designations and marketing rights as the official consumer electronics, mobile phone and data processor of this global sporting event. For more information, please visit www.lgusa.com.
LG Electronics Inc.
LG MobileComm U.S.A., Inc.