Nature has always had our attention. But its message is urgent:
reduce carbon emissions. We are committed to an aggressive
plan toward carbon neutrality and using 100% renewable
energy. The sooner we minimize our environmental impact,
the fewer natural hazards there will be, plus more nature to
Our carbon neutrality imperative
Our ambitious 2030 carbon neutrality goal means taking immediate action. Through continuous process
improvement, we're reducing more greenhouse gas emissions in the entire manufacturing process from
production to use.
- *Scope 1 & 2: Reduce an absolute amount of 54.6% by 2030 compared to 2017 (SBTi verification completed in 2021)
- **Scope 3: Reduce an absolute amount of 20% by 2030 compared to 2020 (SBTi verification completed in 2021)
- Reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from use of sold products per functional unit sold of 7 major product categories (TV, Refrigerators, Washing Machines, Dryers, Residential Air, Conditioner (RAC), System Air Conditioner (SAC), Monitors)
How to achieve carbon neutrality
Our innovation cuts carbon
We're firmly committed to a greener future, discovering and creating
ways to reduce carbon emissions and minimize environmental impact
through sustainable practices.
Reduce greenhouse gas
emissions in production
Expanding our business
to achieve 100%
- Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions during the production stage (~2030)
- Our goal is to decrease greenhouse gas emissions during production by 50% compared to 2017 using advanced equipment and devices. Additionally, we'll actively engage in Clean Development Mechanism (CDM*) projects to acquire carbon credits and support developing nations in reducing their emissions. We'll also implement our own solutions, like upgraded refrigerators and Energy Management Systems (EMS), which promote the use of renewable energy.
- *CDM: Clean Development Mechanism
- Read more
- Expanding business to achieve 100% renewable energy (~2050)
- LG Electronics is making impressive strides in its renewable energy endeavors, with a strong focus on expanding its business in this sector.In 2022, the U.S. production/sales subsidiaries and logistics, as well as the production subsidiaries in Brazil, underwent a complete transition to 100% renewable energy. Noteworthy progress has already been made, as LG has procured 58,961MWh of Renewable Energy Credit in the US and secured 31,946MWh of renewable energy through hydroelectric power contracts in Brazil.
- To realize these goals, LG has formulated a comprehensive long-term plan that takes into account the current regulatory landscape and the state of its business sites in Korea and other countries. The plan encompasses various viable options such as green tariffs for purchasing renewable energy, acquiring Renewable Energy Credits (REC), and engaging in third-party Power Purchase Agreements (PPA).
- A notable achievement has been accomplished at LG Smart Park in Changwon, Korea, where the company successfully established the first-ever direct Power Purchase Agreement in the country, securing a robust power generation capacity of 2.3MW. These exceptional efforts not only underscore LG's unwavering dedication to sustainability but also position the company as a frontrunner in the renewable energy industry.
- Read more
- Securing certified emissions reductions
- A certain amount of carbon emissions is inevitable. To balance this, we reduce carbon emissions in other areas to stay carbon neutral and keep our carbon emissions at zero. We strives to develop high-efficiency products that only emit as much carbon as they can reduce.
- We received a carbon emissions allowance from the UNFCCC Executive Committee by producing and providing innovative, high-efficiency fridges in India. The key technology of high-efficiency fridges is the inverter linear compressor. It controls the system more precisely than a typical compressor, operating the motor only when necessary, which improves energy efficiency and performance.
- In this way, we're taking eco-friendly action through a virtuous cycle of securing carbon emissions with high-efficiency fridges produced in India, and investing the profits into greenhouse gas reduction projects in Korea.
We secured the right to release 800,000 tons of carbon from 2018 to 2020, and we'll have an additional 1.2 million tons by 2025. This is equivalent to how much carbon we will reduce.
- Read more
Introducing lighthouse factory
The LG Lighthouse Factory is the first household appliance manufacturing facility in Korea and
consumer electronics factory in the US to adopt eco-conscious manufacturing practices. Particularly,
the LG Smart Park Factory in Changwon, Korea, has garnered recognition for successfully implementing
various measures to reduce environmental impact.
Carbon emission reductionFirst Home
appliances lighthouse factory
LG Smart Park
- Changwon, Korea
- Changwon LG Smart Park garnered international acclaim in 2022 as the first 'lighthouse factory' in the Korean home appliance industry. The facility places a strong emphasis on eco-conscious manufacturing and has implemented a range of measures to reduce its environmental impact. These include reducing greenhouse gas emissions, utilizing eco-friendly production technology, and recycling waste heat, leading to an impressive 30% reduction in energy consumption.
- In collaboration with GS EPS, the factory is installing a rooftop power plant to advance its renewable energy objectives. By 2025, the factory will manufacture and install 10,000 solar panels, generating over 10% of the building's annual power consumption. This ambitious project is expected to result in an annual reduction of 3,000 tons of greenhouse gas emissions, equivalent to planting 20,000 trees per year.
- Moreover, the factory employs an Energy Storage System (ESS) to mitigate peak loads. The ESS efficiently stores electricity during off-peak periods and releases it during high-demand periods. This collaborative endeavor with Korea East-West Power and LG Electronics not only reduces electricity costs but also significantly contributes to the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions. By optimizing electricity usage during low-rate late-night hours, the system is projected to yield substantial savings of KRW 77.4 billion over 15 years. Furthermore, the ESS has the capability to replace 15% of the facility's daily power consumption, further enhancing its commitment to sustainability.
Carbon emission reductionFirst US Lighthouse Factory
LG Tennessee factory
- Tennessee, USA
- LG Tennessee factory has earned the prestigious "lighthouse factory" designation from the World Economic Forum. It is the first consumer electronics factory in the US to receive this recognition. The factory incorporates advanced technology and automation, producing home appliances like washers and dryers. With cutting-edge digital systems, including AI, big data, IoT, and robots, it meets market demand with local production.
- The facility takes pride in its fully automated logistics system, where 166 automated guided vehicles and robots handle complex tasks. The factory has been running on 100% renewable energy since 2021, leading to an impressive 63% reduction in carbon emissions. Additionally, the factory uses the BECON*(Building Energy Control) solution to maximize energy efficiency in power, steam, and heat supply. Completed in 2018, this factory exemplifies LG Electronics's manufacturing expertise and dedication to shaping the future of global manufacturing.
- *As a building energy management solution, BECON provides instant access to energy information and current status, allowing for control and optimization tailored to each facility type. It also offers customized solutions to match the unique characteristics, facilities, and environment of the building.
Net Zero House, created by LG, is a space that
promotes a sustainable future for our planet. It
shows customers how their everyday appliance usage
can have a positive impact on the environment.
- B2B activity
Net Zero House?
Net Zero houses are built with sustainability in mind, producing and storing
renewable energy, using energy-efficient appliances and ACs, and limiting
environmental impact with eco-conscious materials.
You can also monitor your energy use and lead a sustainable lifestyle
through ThinQ technology.
- Energy package by space : garage
- The energy package for the garage is a sustainable energy system that generates energy with solar panels, stores energy in an Energy Storage System (ESS), and then supplies it to power household appliances.
- Energy storage system (ESS)
- An Energy Storage System (ESS) stores electricity generated from renewable energy sources and efficiently dispenses it at optimum times to help reduce electricity costs.
- Energy package by space : bath & room
- The energy package for bath and room features high-efficiency system boilers that use air heat instead of gas for home and water heating, as well as premium ventilation that recovers energy by reducing heat loss, while preserving high air quality.
- Eco system boiler
- Absorbs heat in the air to produce hot water that can also be used for home heating. Reduced energy consumption lowers carbon emissions.
- Premium ventilation system
- Premium window ventilation lets out polluted air, while also generating heating or cooling energy. By expelling only polluted air 60% of cooling energy and 74% of heating energy is recovered, resulting in significant energy savings.
Energy package by space:
city / commercial facility
- Explore LG's vision for a smart city in this space. Energy-efficient AC systems can efficiently store and utilize power as needed for large-scale facilities, battery materials, products, and other related services.
- AI temperature system
- The AI temperature system optimizes air conditioning and saves energy by learning about the usage environment. It predicts power consumption before use for energy-saving customized control, and adjusts to the most efficient setting based on automatic external weather updates.
Tackling the climate
we'll solve it.
The climate crisis is a serious challenge that
requires all of us to work together. We're always
striving to find solutions, and you're welcome to
join us. Together, we can build a brighter future!