At a glance
Partitioning a drive on your LG laptop allows you to create seperate spaces on your computer hard drive that can be managed indepentently.
To partition a drive in Windows 11, you must be logged in as an administrator.
How to partition a drive in Windows 11
1. Right-click [Start] on the laptop taskbar and select [Disk Management]
2. When the [Disk Management] screen appears, check the disk you want to partition, right-click the disk and select [Shrink Volume].
※ This guide shows you how to partition the local disk (C:) of Disk 0 as an example.
3. Enter the amount of space to shrink and press [Shrink].
- A new partition will be created in the space.
- For example, if you want to divide the C drive and set the D drive size to 50 GB, enter 51200. (1GB = 1024MB. 50x1024=51200)
- The available shrink space may be different depending on the partition size or usage environment.
- In this guide, a new partition is created with the maximum allowed value.
4. Right-click the “Unallocated” space and select [New Simple Volume].
5. When the [New Simple Volume Wizard] window appears, click [Next].
6. In [Specify Volume Size], check the volume size and click [Next].
7. In [Assign Drive Letter or Path], you can change the drive name. Depending on the system, either “D” or “E” is displayed. Click [Next].
8. In [Format Partition], you can change the drive name in [Volume Label], check the “Perform a quick format” box and click [Next].
- The default drive name of (Volume Label) is “New Volume” and it can be changed in [My Computer].
- If “Perform a quick format” is not selected, the amount of time required for formatting is proportional to the partition size.
9. If you click [Finish] on the [Completing the New Simple Volume Wizard] screen, a new partition will be created.
10. Close the [Disk Management] window and click [File Explorer] to check if a new drive has been created in [My PC].
Visit the LG Electronics Laptop Help Library for additional articles and videos or the Contact Us page for more product support.This guide was created for all models, so the images or contents may be different from your product.