HOW AND WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may collect two types of information from you (1) Personally Identifiable Information; and (2) Non-Personally Identifiable Information.
We generally collect your information directly from you. For example, we may collect personal information about you when you deal with us over the telephone, send us warranty cards or correspondence (whether by letter, fax or e-mail), visit our web site, participate in our promotions or competitions or when you have contact with us in person. We may collect your information when you buy LG products from us at our online store.
We may also collection information from your use of our services, for example through cookies and similar technologies. Most cookies will only collect Non-Personally Identifiable Information, such as the kind of device you use to access our site or apps, the IP address, browsing history (such as what you search for, the pages you view, how long you stay, how often you come back). However certain cookies do collect Personally Identifiable Information. For example, if you click “remember my email address” when you sign in to our site, a cookie will store your email address. You can disable these cookies via your web browser.
There may be occasions when we need to source information about you from a third party. For example, we may collect personal information about you from authorised LG service centres, from authorised LG dealers or from third parties involved in a promotion with us. We only collect personal information from a third party that you have consented to or where you would reasonably expect us to collect your personal information in this way.
(A) PERSONAL INFORMATION
Generally, the type of personal information we collect about you includes your name, mailing/home address, telephone number, e-mail address or other information you provide to us.
(B) NON-PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION
The information that we may receive when you use the LG sites may fall into the following categories:
- • Online Store. When you buy LG products directly from us at our online store, we will collect your name, mailing/home address, telephone number and email address.
- • Device Information.We may collect information about your products that you purchase or ask customer service through the LG sites. Device information may include product code or model number, your IP address, product category or, F/W and S/W information, country code or device ID (MAC Address, UUID, etc).
- • Account Information. When you first register with the LG sites, you will be asked and promoted to enter certain information, such as your email address (which will be your user ID), password, telephone number, name and address.
- • Usage Information.Usage information refers to all information collected from the LG sites such as what action has been applied to the sites such as clicking logs; your registration details or how you may be using the sites.
- • IP Address. When you use the sites, we may automatically log your IP address (the unique address which identifies your computer on the internet) which is automatically recognised by your server.
- • Cookie. A “cookie” is a small text file that may be used to collect information about your activity on the sites. For example, when someone visits a page within the sites, a cookie is placed on the user’s machine (if the user accepts cookies) or is read if the user has visited the sites previously. Cookies may also be used to track users across the Web. You may set most browsers to notify you if you receive a cookie, or you may choose to block cookies with your browser, but if you do, you may not be able to take advantage of the personalised features enjoyed by other users who visit the sites. Some of the cookies we may use may be flash cookies or Adobe cookies. Depending on your browser, these cookies may not be automatically deleted. Please check your browser to determine where these types of cookies are stored and how they may be deleted.
- • Web Beacons. (also known as “clear gifs,” “web bugs” or “pixel tags”) “Web Beacons” are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to allow us to count users who have visited certain pages of the sites and to help determine the effectiveness of promotional or advertising campaigns. When used in HTML-formatted email messages, web beacons can tell the sender whether and when the email has been opened. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user’s computer hard drive, web beacons are embedded invisibly on web pages.
OUR DISCLOSURE STATEMENT
LG collects personal information for a number of purposes, which include:
- • To provide you with product information, and to fulfill orders you place with us directly online and deliver them to you;
- • Dealing with requests, enquiries, complaints, consumer guarantee or warranty claims and other customer service related activities;
- • To alert you to special offers, updated information and other new products or services from LG or our partners , or to forward promotional materials to you;
- • To complete a transaction or service requested by you;
- • To fulfill the terms of a competition or promotion;
- • To contact you in a response to sign up forms such as Contact Us or other inquiry;
- • To pass on your information to our dealer network, as requested by you, to provide you with site inspection services, quotes or other relevant services;
- • To allow you to give feedback by rating and reviewing our products.
- • Purposes relating to any third party acquisition or potential acquisition of an interest in LG or its assets.
- • To improve our sites and apps to make them easier to use, and analyse whether our marketing, promotions and offers are effective.
- • To ensure the Sites are relevant to your needs;
- • To help us create and publish content most relevant to you;
- • To allow you to upload content or to add a comment to the Sites;
- • To contact you in response to sign up forms such as “Contact Us” or other inquiries.
- • to analyse, review, and improve the products or service we offer;
- • to understand how customers are using the Sites
- • to develop new products and service we offer;
- • to provide you with a user-friendly navigation experience;
- • to protect and defend our rights and property, including by way of legal proceedings;
- • to comply with regulatory requirements;
- • for marketing; and
- • for internal record keeping.
SHARING AND DISCLOSING PERSONAL INFORMATION
LG will use and disclose personal information for the particular purpose for which it was collected. LG may also use and disclose personal information for purposes that you would reasonably expect are related or ancillary to the main reason it is collected.
LG may disclose your Personal Information in the following instances:
- • To fulfill a service to you, for example if you are entering a competition or promotion, LG will disclose your personal information in order to fulfill the terms of the competition or promotion.
- • To our service providers, agents or independent contractors who help us sell and deliver products to you, maintain our websites and provide other administrative services (including but not limited to, providing customer service, sending customer communications on LG’s behalf, database management and promotion fulfillment, and to process payments you make to us at our online store, and deliver goods to you that you buy directly from us). We require that our service providers safeguard Personal Information and only use your Personal Information for the purposes we specify.
- • To strategic partners, agents, third party marketers or other unaffiliated partners, who may use your personal information to contact you with an offer relating to a product or service where you have agreed to receive such promotional offers.
- • To LG Service Centres to assist with consumer guarantee and warranty claims.
- • To LG’s parent company, subsidiaries and affiliates in order to better serve you. LG may have to share your data with these parties in order to provide you with services that have been
requested by you, or so that LG can ensure its products and services are meeting your needs. LG will always ensure that any transfer is completed in compliance with the Privacy Act.
- • To third parties as part of any corporate reorganisation process including, but not limited to, mergers, acquisitions and sales of all or substantially all of our assets.
- • LG collects non-personally identifiable information in an attempt to provide you with better products and services and to understand how products and services are being used.
TRANSBORDER DATA FLOWS
You may chose to receive information about products, promotions, special offers and other information which relates to our products or services or which we believe may be of interest to you. We may send you such information by email, telephone, SMS text message and/or any other form of electronic messages, post, fax or smartphone apps, social media sites or any other method which becomes relevant from time to time. You can change your mind about your preferences in respect of direct marketing at any time by contacting the Privacy Officer. In addition, if you receive direct marketing from us by email, you will be reminded in the email that you are able to “unsubscribe” from such marketing.
COOKIES AND OTHER TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES
When you access the sites, third parties may collect personal information about your online activities; these third parties may also collect personal information about your online activities across different websites over time. We are not responsible for this third party data collection.
FORUMS, CHAT ROOMS AND OTHER PUBLIC POSTING AREAS
Please note that any information you include in a message you post to any product review board, chat room, forum or other public posting area is available to anyone with Internet access. If you do not want people to know your email address, for example, do not include it in any message you post publicly.
ACCESS TO INFORMATION
LG will, on request, provide you with access to the personal information we hold about you, unless there is an exception which applies under the Privacy Act.
Your request to obtain access will be dealt with in a reasonable time. LG may recover from you its reasonable cost of providing you with access, for example if you request a large amount of information, or information which is in archive (we will inform you of such costs before providing the information). If LG refuses to provide you with access to the information, LG will provide you with reasons for the refusal and inform you of any exceptions relied upon under the Privacy Act.
LG will promptly acknowledge and investigate any complaints about the way we manage personal information.
KEEPING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION UP-TO-DATE
We take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete, and up-to-date whenever we collect or use it.
If you find that the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date, please contact us immediately and we will take reasonable steps to correct this information, or if necessary, we will discuss alternative action with you.
SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use commercially reasonable efforts to safeguard the confidentiality of your personal information. Your personal information may be stored either in hardcopy documents, as electronic data, or in LG's software or systemsWe maintain physical security over our paper and electronic data stores and premises, such as locks and security systems. We also maintain computer and network security; for example, we use firewalls (security measures for the Internet) and other security systems such as user identifiers and passwords to control access to our computer systems.
Nevertheless, due to the design of the internet, ever-changing technology, and other factors outside our control, we cannot guarantee that communications between you and the sites will be free from unauthorised access by third parties or that LG will not be subject to security breaches. We do not accept responsibility for the disclosure of personal information due to errors in transmission or unauthorised or unlawful acts of third parties or your decision to disclose your personal information. You must also take appropriate steps to keep your password confidential and change it regularly.
LG ONLINE STORE
LG uses the eWAY’s Payment Gateway for its online credit card transactions and by completing a transaction you deemed to be aware of and have accepted the terms and conditions of use of the eWAY Payment Gateway. Your complete credit card number cannot be viewed by LG. In addition:
- • All transactions are performed under 128 Bit SSL Certificate;
- • All transaction data is encrypted for storage within eWAY’s bank-grade data centre, further protecting your credit card data;
- • eWAY is an authorised third party processor under the terms and conditions of the LG Online Store;
- • For more information about eWAY and online credit card payments, please visit eWAY.com.au.
THIRD PARTY WEB SITES
This statement applies solely to information collected on the site. The site may contain links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of any third party site linked to our website.
HOW TO CONTACT US
1300 LG CARE (1300 54 2273)
or write to us at:
The Privacy Officer
LG Electronics Australia Pty Ltd
2 Wonderland Drive, Eastern Creek NSW 2766
P.O. Box 212, Horsley Park NSW 2175
Effective Date: September 2020
Last Updated On: September 2020